Ma’at is an ancient Egyptian Neter (“force of nature” / goddess), as well as a living philosophy. She is the personification of truth, balance, harmony, and justice. Wife to Thoth, Ma’at is the symbolic embodiment of a discerning heart, that leads with courage, awareness, and authenticity.
As a spiritual symbol, or philosophy, she is the cosmic life-force energy, which pervades the entire universe. The order from chaos, the living Tao.
The ostrich feather, which adorns her headdress, represents the feather of Truth, and this feather is the weight by which your heart (and soul) is measured in the Hall of Judgment from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.
In the ceremony of the weighing of the heart, the deceased must pronounce his/her 42 affirmative declarations (from Chapter 125 of The Papyrus of Ani), in order to pass through to duat.
“After the petitioner’s testimony containing the 42 affirmative declarations, the weighing of the ka for truth, and the reading of the scales, it is said that the doer of Maat is administered, Maat. If the petitioner is deemed by the Goddess Maat to be in substantial compliance with the 42 Laws of Maat the petitioner passes from duat to the Field of Reeds (Arus) where Osiris sits as the final gatekeeper.“Source: http://www.blackhistoryheroes.com/2013/02/42-laws-of-maat-under-kemet-law-and.html
The 42 Laws of Ma’at Under Kemet Law
- I have not committed sin.
- I have not committed robbery with violence.
- I have not stolen.
- I have not slain men or women.
- I have not stolen food.
- I have not swindled offerings.
- I have not stolen from God/Goddess.
- I have not told lies.
- I have not carried away food.
- I have not cursed.
- I have not closed my ears to truth.
- I have not committed adultery.
- I have not made anyone cry.
- I have not felt sorrow without reason.
- I have not assaulted anyone.
- I am not deceitful.
- I have not stolen anyone’s land.
- I have not been an eavesdropper.
- I have not falsely accused anyone.
- I have not been angry without reason.
- I have not seduced anyone’s wife.
- I have not polluted myself.
- I have not terrorized anyone.
- I have not disobeyed the Law.
- I have not been exclusively angry.
- I have not cursed God/Goddess.
- I have not behaved with violence.
- I have not caused disruption of peace.
- I have not acted hastily or without thought.
- I have not overstepped my boundaries of concern.
- I have not exaggerated my words when speaking.
- I have not worked evil.
- I have not used evil thoughts, words or deeds.
- I have not polluted the water.
- I have not spoken angrily or arrogantly.
- I have not cursed anyone in thought, word or deeds.
- I have not placed myself on a pedestal.
- I have not stolen what belongs to God/Goddess.
- I have not stolen from or disrespected the deceased.
- I have not taken food from a child.
- I have not acted with insolence.
- I have not destroyed property belonging to God/Goddess.
This sacred African law predates and is even believed to have informed The Bible’s 10 Commandments.
A modern iteration of this law has turned the confessions from the Hall of Judgment, into living “ideals” to embody, like the goddess/philosophy of Ma’at – and these are her 42 Ideals.
- I Honor Virtue
- I Benefit With Gratitude
- I Am Peaceful
- I Respect the Property of Others
- I Affirm That All Life Is Sacred
- I Give Offerings That Are Genuine
- I Live In Truth
- I Regard All Altars With Respect
- I Speak With Sincerity
- I Consume Only My Fair Share
- I Offer Words Of Good Intent
- I Relate In Peace
- I Honor Animals With Reverence
- I Can Be Trusted
- I Care For The Earth
- I Keep My Own Council
- I Speak Positively Of Others
- I Remain In Balance With My Emotions
- I Am Trustful In My Relations
- I Hold Purity In High Esteem
- I Spread Joy
- I Do The Best I Can
- I Communicate With Compassion
- I Listen To Opposing Opinions
- I Create Harmony
- I Invoke Laughter
- I Am Open To Love In Various Forms
- I Am Forgiving
- I Am Kind
- I Act Respectfully Of Others
- I Am Accepting
- I Follow My Inner Guidance
- I Converse With Awareness
- I Do Good
- I Give Blessings
- I Keep The Waters Pure
- I Speak With Good Intent
- I Praise The Goddess And The God
- I Am Humble
- I Achieve With Integrity
- I Advance Through My Own Abilities
- I Embrace The All
To further explore what it means to take this ancient wisdom, and apply it as a living philosophy, check out the new Amenti Oracle: Feather Heart Deck and Guidebook .
Modern soul seekers will discover the timeless ideal of truth and balance with the Amenti Oracle Feather Heart Deck and Guide Book, a beautiful keepsake set of oracle cards and a companion guidebook.
From Jennifer Sodini, founder of the popular conscious media platform Evolve and Ascend, and illustrator Natalee Miller, the Amenti Oracle Feather Heart Deck and Guide Book brings the wisdom of Ma’at — the ancient Egyptian concept of truth and balance — to the modern world. Uncover the mystical power of eternal ideals, built on the teachings of the Emerald Tablets, and learn to cultivate a heart as light as a feather.
Beautifully designed oracle cards feature 42 unique illustrations alongside timeless wisdom, including “I Am Humble” and “I Embrace the All,” providing inspiring guidance for modern-day soul-seekers. The accompanying illustrated guide book delves deeper into the meaning of the cards, as well as practical applications of Ma’at’s teachings, advice on intuitive card readings, and sample spreads to spark the imagination.
This keepsake set features:
42 full-color oracle cards.
144-page, full-color illustrated flexibound guide book.
Full-color illustrated keepsake box with magnetic closure and flocked tray to hold cards.