Artwork: “Mario’s Mandala” by Wanderweird
As a child of the 90’s I grew up having fond memories of playing the Nintendo game, Super Mario Brothers, on the weekends I got to spend with my grandparents (my mother didn’t allow video games in our household). I remember the frustration with the original game because you were never able to go back once you went too far, and sometimes I would find myself playing too fast, which just sent “my” Mario rushing right into death’s door. The nostalgia of the game always evokes a fond memory, and as an adult reflecting on said nostalgia…I can’t help but find value in the curiously esoteric messages alchemically coded within the Mario mythology.
10 Lessons the Original Super Mario Brothers Video Game Can Teach You About Life:
- Move forward fearlessly, and do not look back, because the past no longer exists.
- Don’t just run towards your goals, jump.
- Reach for the clouds, shoot for the stars.
- Don’t worry about death, because you can always continue on with another life.
- Any great success (aka: leveling up) deserves some celebratory music and fireworks.
- We live in a multidimensional universe.
- True love is worth risking everything for.
- Evil has a certain “reptilian” type of energy.
- The Amanita Muscaria mushroom can give you supernatural abilities, and allow you to reach new “heights” of consciousness.
- Turn coins into cents in order to make sense out of change.
So with all of that being said, the moral of the Mario mythology is to be fearless, let love be your driving force, explore other dimensions, all while keeping an open mind as you make sense of the nonsense.