My first herbalism mentor was an older woman named Barbara.
Barbara led a glamorous life when she was younger and often shared stories of the parties she went to with an ex-husband, stories of a different life before she found solace in the mountains of Vermont treating her community as an herbalist. She had long nails and wore vintage wrangler jeans and although she moved at a pace too slow for some of the eager young students, I found her presence and sense of humor at herself inspiring. I wanted to be like Barbara, comfortable and confident in my own aging body, with vibrant health that left doctors doing my bloodwork surprised.
You see, Barbara was the first person to introduce me to the idea of drinking herbal infusions daily for deep hydration and nutrition in place of just plain water.
This woman worshipped the power of the Nettles, referring to the drink as “Green Blood” for how well the micronutrients served the human body. She taught me to view the entire body as a system, rather than individual parts to be treated separately.
That includes the skin, our body’s largest organ.
I took this lesson all the way through my esthetics courses and beyond, and found myself hosting my own workshops on herbalism, teaching my clients to create their own infusions at home for radiant health that showed.
Glow Tonic is a special infusion blend that I began formulating over a year ago. It’s a blend of 5 herbs that not only create a flavor profile together that’s pleasant, but their combined power inside the body still offers a radiant glow.
- Hibiscus – Traditionally used as a heart tonic to treat high blood pressure and high cholesterol. A potent source of vitamin c, crucial for collagen production, one study found Hibiscus extract increased collagen synthesis by 60%.
- Lemon balm – Used often for disorders of the Nervous System like anxiety, depression, stress, etc. Lemon balm has also been found to show significant benefits to healing glycation related tissue damage in blood vessels + skin of healthy adults. Studies have shown an incredible increase in cheek skin elasticity! In another study Lemon Balm extract was found to protect skin from UV radiation.
- Dandelion – A potent source of antioxidants with anti inflammatory properties, has a protective effect specifically on the liver – where master antioxidant glutathione is actually produced! Dandelion extract has also been found to absorb UVB radiation, helping to support the body’s own innate protection from sun damage.
- Hawthorn – Helps with high blood pressure, and congestive heart failure which has to do with the pumping action of the heart. It increases the quality of circulation in older adults, especially those who need help strengthening this part of their systems. Your heart is a pump for your circulatory system – your circulatory system runs throughout your entire body, including the dermis of your skin, and is crucial for healing, cell communication, detoxing, absorption of nutrients, and energy.
- Peppermint – Traditionally used to help ease digestive discomfort. It has shown significant antimicrobial and antiviral activities, strong antioxidant and antitumor actions, and some antiallergenic potential. Animal model studies demonstrate a relaxation effect on gastrointestinal (GI) tissue. The peppermint in this blend also helps balance the tartness of Hibiscus.
Glow Tonic is safe (and recommended) to drink daily. Plants build your system over time unlike the immediate gratification that many western treatments and supplements offer, which can be an interesting transition for some.
My clients have come to view their experience with Glow Tonic as a ritual. They place their spoonfuls of the blend into a jar, fill it with cool water, let it sit overnight, and strain a vibrant magenta liquid in the morning to drink all day. It leaves them feeling more connected to their day, to their bodies, and noticeably more hydrated and resilient. The synergistic blend builds the immune system, digestive system, circulatory system, and integumentary system simultaneously. Focusing on the health, strength, vibrancy, and longevity of your space suit allows for healing of perceived superficial damage to begin deep within, offering safer long term results.
Glow Tonic is available to order directly for delivery for $25 through @marylyntaylor or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org