Featured image by Richie Brown
Orgonite is a combination of crystal and metal in resin, and it is based on scientific research in the 1930’s by Austrian psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich.
Reich posited that “Orgone Energy” was the universal life force. This massless omnipresent substance (similar to luminiferous aether), was believed by Reich to be the substance could that “coalesce to create organization on all scales, from the smallest microscopic units—called “bions” in orgone theory—to macroscopic structures like organisms, clouds, or even galaxies.”
The term “orgone” was derived from “orgasm” and “organism”, which he believed to be essentially the “God” force. In 1940 he started building orgone accumulators, devices that his patients sat inside to harness the reputed health benefits, resulting in newspaper stories about “sex boxes that cured cancer.”
Reich theorized that the root of many diseases stemmed from a deficit (or constriction) of bodily orgone, aka: orgasm energy. This controversial theory was a point of contention in the press, and he received extreme amounts of backlash, resulting in a federal injuction from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which barred the interstate distribution of orgone-related materials, on the grounds that Reich and his associates were making false and misleading claims.
The concept of Orgone energy is similar to what the ancients have called chi, or prana. Some believe that this life force energy can be created and amplified by layering organic and inorganic materials together.
In 2000, psychic Carol Croft began adding crystals to the mix, and is attributed to being the pioneer of this process – with an intention of creating a crystal matrix, which when locked in amplifies the state of its own frequency, and the encased metal filters the negative frequencies. The combination then creates a high-frequency output and a negative-frequency filter all in one piece.
How to Make Orgonite
What You’ll Need (All Links Point to Where to Purchase Items)
- Safety Equipment: Although cured resin is safe, resin gives off dangerous and volatile fumes during the curing process, and can cause serious lung problems later in life. Try to make orgonite outside, or in a well-ventilated area, and keep it away from open flames or any electrical equipment which could cause a fire, since the fumes are flammable. It’s also recommended to wear an apron while you work, to avoid getting resin on your clothes. Pro-tip – if you get resin on your skin, immediately wash it off with vinegar.
- Respirator Mask
- Rubber Gloves
- Polyester resin: See Castin’ Craft
- Catalyst (hardener) ***Be sure to read all instructions carefully. Prepare for spills. Never add the resin to the activator – always add the activator to the resin (it can explode otherwise).***
- Metal shavings
- Quartz crystals
- Pyramid Mold
- Optional ingredients:
- Copper wire to wrap the crystals
Disclaimer: It is essential to be in a positive state of mind while making orgonite – as it becomes imprinted with your energy and intentions during the curing process. A meditation session beforehand is recommended.
- 1. Put the metal shavings in the pyramid mold, and fill it about half way.
- 2. Put the quartz crystal(s) in with the metal, as well as any other crystals you may want to add (optional).
- 3. Next comes the resin. The package that comes with the catalyst that you mix in the resin should tell you how much to use, but generally for polyester resin, you will need 2-3% of catalyst.
- 4. Use plastic cups to mix the resin (don’t use any equipment that you will need for any other purposes – cured resin is near-impossible to clean off). Mix the resin with the catalyst for 60 seconds.
- 5. Pour the resin into the mold, and let the resin cure by itself. Don’t take the orgonite out of the mold for at least 24 hours.
Depending on your style and what you choose to add, the finished product should look something like this:
Orgone pyramid by Jennifer Sodini
For more information about the history of Orgone, click here, or watch the video below.