Artwork by Nicholas Kahn and Richard Selesnick
WHAT IS MARS RETROGRADE?
According to astrological researcher, Lynn Koiner:
“All of the planets, except for the Sun and Moon, which are not actual planets, have a period of retrogradation when they “appear” to move backward in the sky. Mercury turns retrograde when it is about 14 degrees ahead of the Sun and it is retrograde for 3 weeks 3 times each year. The other planets turn retrograde when they are on the opposite side of the zodiac from the Sun. Often, a planet forming a trine to the Sun will also be retrograde. Mars is retrograde for slightly less than 2 2 months every 2 years. When a planet is retrograde, it does not work in its normal manner. One frequently needs to make changes or to work on an inner, psychological level before the planet can express itself outwardly.”
MARS RETROGRADE 2016
“If you are normally non-assertive, you have be forced to defend yourself. Whatever your tactics, you must give thought to what you are doing. If your tactics do not work or they are inappropriate to the situation, your anger will continue to build while Mars is retrograde. You can expect the anger to manifest full-blown by the time Mars turns direct. If you have seriously wronged or angered another with…acts of aggression, you can expect the backlash as Mars turns direct.” – Mary Shea
From April 17 through June 29 2016, we will be experiencing the Mars Retrograde period – this happens once every two years, and lasts for approximately 80 days. Mars retrogrades are particularly pesky, and opens a vortex of energy which effects all zodiac signs (not just one in particular).
During this period of time, it is advised to hold off on making new plans, because Mars can be a bit of a troublemaker. Plans backfire, and sometimes completely fail, the drive to succeed wanes…overall it’s a bit chaotic (to say the least). This is not a time to initiate or provoke anything…a new project, a great love, an argument, a lawsuit. However, out of chaos comes order – and this time is actually quite ideal for strategizing, and working on plans…not taking action. It’s a time for evaluation, and insight…rest and relaxation.
You may also feel depleted energetically, so this is great time to recharge your battery, in order to use your restored energy in a positive way once Mars goes direct. Bach Flower Remedies such as Aspen, Centaury, Cherry Plum, Chestnut Bud, Crab Apple, and Star of Bethlehem may be ideal to incorporate in your wellness routine.
HOW TO SURVIVE MARS RETROGRADE
Surviving and thriving during this period is dependent on our actions, and reactions. A great way to tune in, and follow the flow is to be aware of the transit period Mars is going through. By using the course of the transit, we can plan our points of focus and transform through the process. Here are some more great tips for navigating through the chaos from Lynn Koiner:
- 1st House, it is a time to work on one’s self-image with courses or activities that bestow confidence and courage.
- In the 2nd House, it is a time to make corrections or repairs in your financial situation. It should be a time of paying off debts and not a time for spending.
- In the 3rd House, it is a good time to end those subscriptions for magazines that you do not read. It is a good time for catching up on reading and studies— like those astrology books that you bought two years ago but never read. This house rules transportation so it might be a good time to have those squeaky brakes fixed on your car… or, at least, have an annual tune-up.
- In the 4th House, it is a good time to make repairs around the house and to reinforce its safety by replacing your smoke detector batteries. Activities may go on in your personal environment of which you are not readily aware.
- In the 5th House, it is a good time to be a spectator— take the kids to an amusement park (vent their pent up energy), give yourself some relaxation time at the movies or with some home videos, watch someone else get killed on the football field.
- In the 6th House, reinforce your diet. Add nutrients that benefit the kidney-adrenal (adrenal supplement or Chinese energy herbs) and the iron content of the blood.
- In the 7th House, work on repressed anger and resentment issues in your relationships. Do not get into a fight— talk it out!
- In the 8th House, reinforce 8th House issues. If your house is insured for its 1970 value, bring it up-to-date. Pay off those credit cards. Curb any tendencies toward obsessive-compulsive behavior or action. It will only get you into trouble1. I had surgery during the 1988 Mars retrograde in which my foot was RE-ATTACHED. The doctor felt it was the best surgery of his career!
- In the 9th House, it is a good time to study comparative philosophies. This would include history— studying the past to understand the present.
- In the 10th House, this is a good time to find out why activities in your business are not working and then reinforce the structures. If and where you are losing business, assess the problem. I traveled to Eastern Europe to visit astrologers.
- In the 11th House, it might be a better time to do things alone and not drain yourself through the energy of groups. Psychologically, it is a good time to assess if your current goals are really contributing to your happiness index!
- In the 12th House, solitude is beneficial. Meditation puts you in touch with your inner self.