Artwork by Tim White
Our ability to tell stories, and to articulate the value of experience is one of the most incredible aspects of being human, and having the level of consciousness we possess.
Finding the right words, that hit us in the heart is an art-form, but when we read that right combination of language syntax – it unlocks something deep within us…an awareness, and understanding that inspires our imagination, and pushes us to dig deeper, and explore that which we call “reality”.
Below, I’ve taken the liberty to curate 10 life-changing quotes about reality/consciousness/psychedelics, that I hope inspire you, as much as they have inspired me. Enjoy the selection, and feel free to comment below with the quote(s) you enjoyed most!
1) “Evolving our consciousness is not something we do only for ourselves – it is something we also do for others…for all others, and for the earth. Because we open up and let our body and mind feel the ties with others and with nature, we change ourselves, and change others around us. When a sufficient number of people pray or meditate together, or find another path to evolve their consciousness, other people are affected as well. More sick people heal, divorce and suicide rates drop, crime and violence diminish. When many people open up, a powerful force develops – a leap of consciousness takes place…” – Ervin Laszlo
2) “All experience is a drug experience. Whether it’s mediated by our own [endogenous] drugs, or whether it’s mediated by substances that we ingest that are found in plants, cognition, consciousness, the working of the brain, it’s all a chemically mediated process. Life itself is a drug experience.” – Dennis McKenna
3) “We have to create culture, don’t watch TV, don’t read magazines, don’t even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you’re worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you’re giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told ‘no’, we’re unimportant, we’re peripheral. ‘Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.’ And then you’re a player, you don’t want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.” ― Terence McKenna
4) “The plants that produce visions can function- for those of us who have inherited the New World Order of barren materialism, cut off from our spiritual heritage by a spiteful culture that gives us nothing but ashes- as the talismans of recognition that awaken our minds to reality.” ― Daniel Pinchbeck
5) “The first and most important thing an individual can do is to become an individual again, decontrol himself, train himself as to what is going on and win back as much independent ground for himself as possible” ― William S. Burroughs
6) “Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
7) “The history of human use of plants, mushrooms, and animals for their psychedelic effects is far older than written history, and probably predates the appearance of the modern human species.” – Rick Strassman
8) “You are one miniscule piece of a never-ending cycle. In fact, you’re not even a piece. You’re just a holder for billions and billions of other pieces. Whether that’s organic components, living organisms inside your body, bacteria or whatever it is, you’re just part of the soup of the universe, so just try to enjoy what’s good about it.” – Joe Rogan
9) “I believe we are a species with amnesia, I think we have forgotten our roots and our origins. I think we are quite lost in many ways. And we live in a society that invests huge amounts of money and vast quantities of energy in ensuring that we all stay lost. A society that invests in creating unconsciousness, which invests in keeping people asleep so that we are just passive consumers or products and not really asking any of the questions.” – Graham Hancock
10) “You can’t absolutely make everything the way you want it to be in life. Sometimes thing are just different and then you to just move with that and try and remain in contact with what is beautiful about yourself and each other with any situation.” – Russell Brand