Meditation. A simple practice that many are curious about, but are also apprehensive to try. We live such busy lives, with a pace that changes rapidly each day, but by giving ourselves 15-20 minutes a day to slow down, and just breathe…the effects can be life changing.
The art of meditation has been a part of spiritual practice in Hindu, Taoist, and Buddhist cultures from as early as 6th to 5th centuries BCE. Through focused attention and intention, the discipline of quieting the mind and controlling the breath was viewed as the portal to connecting to the consciousness of the deities, as a way of achieving enlightenment.
As meditation spread west, it has been discovered that along with being a tool for the expansion of consciousness, it also has other physical, mental, and emotional effects that are key to living at your highest potential.
According to The Art of Living these are some of the key benefits that come with incoporating this practice into your daily routine:
PHYSICAL BENEFITS OF MEDITATION
With meditation, the physiology undergoes a change and every cell in the body is filled with more prana (energy). This results in joy, peace, enthusiasm as the level of prana in the body increases.
On a physical level, meditation:
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy
MENTAL BENEFITS OF MEDITATION
Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an Alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. With regular practice of meditation:
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection
Meditation makes you aware – that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
Depending on your intention there are all different kinds of modalities to help you achieve the consciousness you desire to manifest. Some of our favorites include The Silva Method, and Binaural Beats (follow link for a wonderful meditation on opening your 3rd eye).