In Gnostic cosmology, Archons are known as a species of inorganic beings that emerged in the solar system prior to the formation of the earth. “Archon” derives from the Greek word which means “ruler” or “lord”.
According to Wikipedia:
Archons are, in Gnosticism and religions closely related to it, demonic entities subordinate to the embodiment of evil in the corresponding belief-system. Among the Archontics, Ophites, Sethians and in the writings of Nag Hammadi library, the archons are rulers, each related to one of seven planets; they prevent souls from leaving the material realm.
In Manichaeism, the archons are the rulers of a realm within the ‘Kingdom of Darkness’, who together make up the Prince of Darkness.
The Ophites accepted the existence of these seven archons (Origen, Contra Celsum, vi. 31; a nearly identical list is given in On the Origin of the World):
- Yaldabaoth, called also Saklas and Samael
- Feminine name: Pronoia (Forethought) Sambathas, “week”.
- Prophets: Moses, Joshua, Amos, Habakkuk.
- From Hebrew yalda bahut, “Child of Chaos”? The outermost who created the six others, and therefore the chief ruler and Demiurge par excellence. Called “the Lion-faced”, leontoeides.
- Astaphanos, or Astaphaios
- Feminine name: Sophia.
- Prophets: Esdras, Zephaniah.
- Astraphaios is beyond doubt the planet Venus, as there are gnostic gems with a female figure and the legend ASTAPHE, which name is also used in magic spells as the name of a goddess.
- Elaios, or Ailoaios, or sometimes Ailoein
To learn even more about the Archons, click here.